Using Instagram to grow your brand awareness, showcase your products and interact with your customers is becoming more and more important for every business. The social media platform, which was founded in 2010, has became the fastest growing social media channel, with more and more people signing up daily.
Unlike other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, it lets you humanise your brand and connect with your followers or customers on a more personal level. Buying habits have changed, and people like real reviews now than ever. On all other social media platforms, it is mainly about pushing content, whereas on Instagram you are showing how you build or develop your product/service and ‘behind the scenes’ footage of how it all comes together.
We have found some interesting statistics about Instagram and its users which we think you’ll want to check out.
- 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded.
- Posts with at least one hashtag have 12.6% more engagement than those without.
- Although you are allowed 30 hashtags, research on the topic suggests that the optimum number to use is 11.
- An estimated 71% of US businesses use the social media platform.
- There are currently 25 million businesses on the social media platform. Small business are currently making up the majority of Instagram advertisers and business profiles.
- 80% of users follow a business on it.
- 60% of users said they heard about a product or service through the platform.
- As of March 2017, over 120 million users visited a website, got directions, called a business, emailed or direct messaged a business.
- At least 30% of users have purchased a product they first discovered on it.
- Instagram mobile ad revenue to hit nearly $7 billion in 2018 – a $5 billion jump in just two years.
- 25% of ads are single videos.
- If your video is narrated, don’t forget to add captions. According to Digiday, 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- Ads on the platform increased by 28% in the second half of 2017. According to data from Klear, there were 171,000 Instagram ads in December 2017, whereas there were just 134,000 six months previous.
- Posts with a location get 79% more engagement than those which don’t.
- 70% of posts don’t get seen. Instagram’s latest algorithm focuses on past page engagement when choosing what content people will see.
- Users engage more on weekdays than at weekends.
- 80% of influencers prefer Instagram for brand collaborations.
- Photos on the platform generate 36% more engagement than videos.
- 65% of top-performing posts feature products.
- Product posts beat lifestyle content (43%) and images or videos from and influencer or celebrity at 29%.
- Photos with faces get 38% more likes.
- User-generated content has a 4.5% higher conversion rate. This increases to 6% if they interact with the photo.
- The most used filter is Clarendon. It’s the favourite filter in 119 countries world-wide.
- 50% of captions and comments contain emojis. The single red heart is the most used emoji, followed by the love-heart smiley face, the kissing face and the crying-laughing face.
- 59% of 18-29-year olds use Instagram.
- 80% of users live outside of the US.
- More than 40 billion photos have been uploaded to the social media platform since it was founded in 2010.
These statistics are according to data released by Sprout Social.
We’re pretty sure after reading these facts and figures, you’ll be ready to sign up to Instagram and start growing your business. If you want some more information on how you can use Instagram to skyrocket your business, check out our previous blog posts here or if you need to know more about Instagram stories, read our complete guide here.