The best way to stay ahead of the curve is to know more than your competition when it comes to the latest Instagram statistics and trends. Like all social media platforms, algorithms change all the time, and it can be hard to stay up-to-date. You feel like you’ve finally got to grips with the latest development and then boom, they release a new update or feature for you to wrap your head around. We’re all in the same boat, but who’s the captain?
Using Instagram to grow your brand awareness, showcase your products and interact with your customers is becoming more and more important for every business. If you are reading this blog post, the chances are you want to grow your Instagram profile and use it more effectively. The social media platform, which was founded in 2010, has become the fastest growing social media channel, with more people signing up daily – and we can understand why. Consumers can avail of quick and bite-sized pieces of information as they scroll through their newsfeed. It’s a great place for creating conversations and engaging with your audience on a personal level while answering any customer queries at the same time. A lot of B2B businesses can be put off by investing their time in Instagram as it can be quite hard to create content.
However, unlike other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, it lets you humanise your brand and connect with your followers or customers and put a face to your brand. In 2019, people want to see the people behind the business. Buying habits have changed, and people like real reviews more so now than ever. On all other social media platforms, it is mainly about pushing content. Whereas on Instagram, you are showing how you build or develop your product/service and ‘behind the scenes’ footage of how it all comes together.
If you’re still not convinced, here are a few of the latest Instagram statistics we could find on the world wide web.
Instagram statistics that you need to remember
- 7 out of 10 hashtags are branded.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag have 12.6% more engagement than those without.
- Although you are allowed 30 hashtags, research on the topic suggests that the optimum number to use is 11.
- An estimated 71% of US businesses use Instagram.
25 million businesses on Instagram
- There are currently 25 million businesses on the popular social media site. Small business is currently making up the majority of advertisers and business profiles.
- 80% of users follow a business on Instagram.
- 60% of users said they heard about a product or service through the platform.
- As of March 2017, over 120 million Instagram users visited a website, got directions, called a business, emailed or direct messaged a business.
- At least 30% of Instagram users have purchased a product they first discovered on Instagram.
$7 billion in mobile ad revenue
- Instagram mobile ad revenue to hit nearly $7 billion in 2018 – a $5 billion jump in just two years.
- 25% of Instagram ads are single videos.
- If your video is narrated, don’t forget to add captions. According to Digiday, 85% of videos are watched without sound.
- Instagram ads increased by 28% in the second half of 2017. According to data from Klear, there were 171,000 Instagram ads in December 2017, whereas there were just 134,000 six months previous.
- Posts with a location get 79% more engagement than those which don’t.
- 70% of posts don’t get seen. Instagram’s latest algorithm focuses on past page engagement when choosing what content people will see.
Weekdays Vs Weekends
- Users engage more on weekdays than at weekends.
- 80% of influencers prefer Instagram for brand collaborations.
- Photos generate 36% more engagement than videos.
- 65% of top-performing posts feature products.
- Product posts beat lifestyle content (43%) and images or videos from an influencer or celebrity at 29%.
- Photos with faces get 38% more likes.
- User-generated content has a 4.5% higher conversion rate. This increases to .6% if they interact with the photo.
- The most used Instagram filter is Clarendon. It’s the favourite filter in 119 countries worldwide.
The red heart is the most used emoji
- 50% of captions and comments contain emojis. The single red heart is the most used emoji, followed by the love-heart smiley face, the kissing face and the crying-laughing face.
- 59% of 18-29-year olds use Instagram.
- 80% of users live outside of the US.
- More than 40 billion photos have been uploaded to the social media platform since it was founded in 2010.
These statistics are according to data released by Social Spout.
For more Instagram statistics, check out this additional resource: 20 Key Instagram Stats Every Marketer Should Know in 2019
We’re pretty sure after reading these facts and figures, you’ll be ready to sign up to Instagram and start growing your business. If you want some more information on how you can use Instagram stories, read our complete guide here.
More from Zymplify